Old October 25th 14, 10:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default Amazon rocks.

On Saturday, October 25, 2014 8:28:39 AM UTC-7, Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
Â*
Last month, in }",
I wrote:
Yesterday, I upgraded both graphics drivers;
now, both GPUs allow 60 Hz, UHD ( 4 * HD, 2160 x 3840 )
DisplayPort 1.2, when the monitor is portrait.

When not zooming too far, HD ( 1080p ) videos play fine;
otherwise, horizontally-moving visuals may tear/rip.

Extreme zooming (4K) is expensive, I'm discovering.
The solution, I think, is to buy more, better system DRAM.

OK, I had 2 problems, now fixed.
Mainly, my DisplayPort cable was ·really· borked.

Also helping ( maybe ), yesterday's driver update for
my "Intel HD Graphics 4600" ( 4th generation Core i7 ).

If you buy a $700 Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q...
Replace the DisplayPort Cable -- REPLACE IT ! ! !

I was having serious problems until, yesterday,
I replaced the cable.

Be sure it's 4K, 60 Hz rated... with thick, good shielding.
Do NOT buy a lower-rated cable.

Oh, My, God... did that make a difference ? ! Oï¼*G..

Before, I'd occasionally get garbage on the screen,
and was, occasionally, forced into low-res, low Hz mode.

The original cable had bent pins and the like... really bad.

Why did Dell give me such a ï¼£rappy cable ? ?
Dell's cable is half the thickness of the $9 one I bought
to replace it ( same day shipping, from/to Seattle, Amazon ).

Amazon rocks. **** NewEgg and their WAAAY over priced crap,
their inferior selection,
their <"no edit", "no replies", over-censored> reviews...

and their sheer lack of reviews... **** that.

When you go back and look at the earliest posts on Usenet, usually from universities, they were mostly talking about their equipment. Makes me feel nostalgic to see that tradition continuing.

Double-A