Old August 27th 03, 03:28 PM
CeeBee

(PalmaG72) wrote in alt.astronomy:

I am not to informed of Astronomy as most on this newsgroup are - I
live in Central NJ - early this morning about 4:30 AM I looked up in
the southern sky and saw a bright Yellow Star (usually stars I see are
white) this was larger than what I usually see - I have no telescope -
just a cheap pair of binoculars I use for back yard birding -I am
wondering if it was Mars I saw - About thirty miles away in Milford,NJ
( Hunterdon County) an earthquake hit about 4PM - also wondering if
Mars had an effect on this event - would appreciate some information -
please don't be critical of my lack of knowledge

At 4:30 Mars is in the southwest, about 20 degrees above the horizon, and
a bright orange you can't oversee.

With a distance of 56 million kilometers from Earth, and a planet about
twice the size of the Moon and about 140 times further away, Mars will
certainly won't affect Earth that way.

If that where the case it would be the Moon that would have ripped the
Earth into pieces.
And it didn't - only some tides and some nice romantic moonlight - so no
Martian induced earthquakes.

Clear skies.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @
www.geocities.com/ceebee_2