Old November 2nd 17, 03:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default The First Known Interstellar Comet

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 1:28:10 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

Left and right are not precise enough to describe the motions of celestial
objects if you want to apply the description to the whole of the Earth. I
actually found it disconcerting in New Zealand to be walking in the
direction I knew was north while my instinct told me I was walking south.

Orbital comparisons made from Earth are contingent on what is moving from left to right or right to left with no ambiguities.

http://www.popastro.com/images/plane...ary%202012.jpg

When Venus turns in behind the Sun seen from our slower moving Earth it moves from a morning appearance to an evening appearance.

When Venus reaches its widest point after it emerges as an evening appearance it will then turn back in front of the Sun and move from left to right until it overtakes us and becomes a morning appearance once more.

Overlaying the background stars into this picture to account for the Earth's orbital motion does not rely on the Sun moving right to left through the background stars but simply the Sun is stationary, the Earth is moving and the stars therefore transition from left to right of the central Sun as the Earth runs its circuit.

You once called yourself Mr Cool but I would say you are Mr Stone Cold in terms of inspiration and reasoning.