Old January 24th 04, 04:35 AM
Jon Berndt

Default The Wrong Kind Of Partisan

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: This week's Fox News column, which has a link to last week's as well.

I'm glad you acknowledged that W mentioned nothing about space in his SOU
address.

I thought I had read or been told that JFK did not mention space activities
in *his* SOU address. That's wrong. From his 1962 address:

"With the approval of this Congress, we have undertaken in the past year a
great new effort in outer space. Our aim is not simply to be first on the
moon, any more than Charles Lindbergh's real aim was to be the first to
Paris. His aim was to develop the techniques of our own country and other
countries in the field of air and the atmosphere, and our objective in
making this effort, which we hope will place one of our citizens on the
moon, is to develop in a new frontier of science, commerce and cooperation,
the position of the United States and the Free World."

From his 1961 speech:

"Finally, this Administration intends to explore promptly all possible areas
of cooperation with the Soviet Union and other nations "to invoke the
wonders of science instead of its terrors." Specifically, I now invite all
nations - including the Soviet Union - to join with us in developing a
weather prediction program, in a new communications satellite program and in
preparation for probing the distant planets of Mars and Venus, probes which
may someday unlock the deepest secrets of the universe.

Today this country is ahead in the science and technology of space, while
the Soviet Union is ahead in the capacity to lift large vehicles into orbit.
Both nations would help themselves as well as other nations by removing
these endeavors from the bitter and wasteful competition of the Cold War.
The United States would be willing to join with the Soviet Union and the
scientists of all nations in a greater effort to make the fruits of this new
knowledge available to all - and, beyond that, in an effort to extend farm
technology to hungry nations - to wipe out disease - to increase the
exchanges of scientists and their knowledge - and to make our own
laboratories available to technicians of other lands who lack the facilities
to pursue their own work. Where nature makes natural allies of us all, we
can demonstrate that beneficial relations are possible even with those with
whom we most deeply disagree - and this must someday be the basis of world
peace and world law."

These quotes were found at: http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/P/jk35/

Jon