Old January 2nd 09, 06:16 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Stuf4

Default New Columbia loss report out today

From Craig Fink:

When I heard the none, zero, of the occupants had the presents of mind to
close their visors, it just sound right. A real time, new, procedure
implemented as a last ditch effort to get hydraulic pressure, while working
formal procedures to restart two APUs? And, the passengers with nothing to
do, other than lock your visor and pray, don't?

Impressive presents of mind by some, yet a lack of it by all, just doesn't
sound right.

You don't climb to that pinnacle of the pyramid without having a keen
presence of mind in extremely stressful situations. More so for the
pilots, considering the dozens of selection levels they succeeded in
through the military and then NASA. I myself tend to think that they
all had a solid understanding of how far outside of their egress
survivability envelope they were, and that suit pressure would have
just passed their survival along to the next fatal wicket. One of
many.

~ CT