Old May 16th 04, 04:58 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:

...And I'm cuing Derek in on this one for his comments: The "Kobiashi
Maru" scenario they used to give was this: you're stationed on a sub.

And like the fictional Kobayashi Maru this one is filled with holes
and contradictions in an attempt to force the trainee into giving the
right answer without actually training him on how to reach that
conclusion. In the ST KM scenario, the pre-ordained answer is 'die
gallantly'. In your scenario, it's the Naval line; 'An officer can be
wrong, but he cannot be indecisive or hesitant'.

Best advice I ever got for wilderness leadership is, "If you're going to be
wrong, at least be confidently wrong."

People will follow you if you're confident, whether you're right or wrong,
but if you're lacking confidence in your abilities, they'll never follow
you, no matter how right you are.

And of course, if you have them following you, many "marginal" situations
that might not be perfectly "right" will often turn out much better than
otherwise.

The simple fact of the matter is this; You do not launch, *EVER*
without positive launch authority, *EVER*. (Such authority can be
obtained by means other than a flash message, but that's enough said
on that topic.)

How we would have reacted as individuals was something rarely
discussed, as an incorrect launch was a nightmare scenario, completely
contrary to our training and philosphy. How I would have reacted
personally is matter between myself and $DIETY.

Of course this whole subject brings up the movie Crimson Tide of which
I've heard surprisingly different reactions from various folks claiming to
be submariners.

(basically breaking down to "it's unrealistic, a crew would never mutiny" to
"a crew would never allow a launch in a situation like that.")

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.