Old February 11th 18, 02:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Future of Falcon Heavy

In article ,
says...

Just as there are complaints about the shuttle being too heavy for what
it carried, I suspect BFR will be way too heavy if it only goes to ISS
to carry 3 or 4 crewmembers. Like a 747 being used to carry just a
handful of people.

So why would you even have that mission? You'd bring 3 astronauts
plus however many tons of cargo you might want to launch. Fewer
bigger resupply missions. Again, BFR is *MUCH CHEAPER* than Falcon 9
launches to do even an approximately equivalent mission. Musk thinks
BFR Spaceship can compete at the high end of high speed air transport.

And as a bonus, BFS could boost the orbit of ISS without relying on the
Russians. IMHO, BFR/BFS has the potential to allow the US to give the
Russians the middle finger when it comes to ISS. They want to leave and
take their modules with them? Good riddance! With the money that
BFR/BFS would allow NASA to save, stick a Bigelow Aerospace expandable
module in place of the tiny Russian aluminum cans.

Jeff