Old July 25th 11, 01:38 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.math,sci.astro
Tom Roberts

Default Understanding Einstein's simple derivation of the Lorentz Transformation

Marvin the Martian wrote:
Einstein did NOT derive the Lorentz transformation.
Lorentz derived the Lorentz transformation.

I disagree. Lorentz obtained the transform equation via an ansatz, without
justification or explanation. He did not even display them in the form we use
today until after 1905. Einstein derived them from his two postulates, and
displayed them in the form used today. I believe Einstein was instrumental in
christening them "Lorentz transformations". The earlier paper by Voigt that
displayed an equivalent transform was not (re-)discovered until the name
"Lorentz transform" was well established.

Tom Roberts