Old October 27th 10, 02:09 PM posted to sci.space.history
Yofie

Default alternate location for French/European spaceport

On 26 oct, 21:40, Dan Birchall wrote:
(Yofie) wrote:
*On 26 oct, 00:29, Dan Birchall wrote:
Given that Suriname was a Dutch colony and Guyana a British one, I
don't think either would be a good choice for a French spaceport.
If French Guiana were unavailable, one of France's other overseas
"departements" might have been a better choice - perhaps Reunion,
or somewhere in French Polynesia?

*The problem is, other French colonies like Reunion, Guadeloupe, or
*French Polynesia are either too small or too mountainous (or both) to
*allow for such facilities. *Besides which, the French did investigate
*some sites in non-French areas like Brazil, Australia, Sri Lanka,
*Trinidad, and Somalia.

Somalia, interesting. *You know about Italy's Luigi Broglio Space Centre
off the coast of Kenya, right? *

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall - Observation System Associate - Subaru Telescope.
naoj | Views I express are my own, obviously not those of my employer.

I do know about Italy setting up shop like that in Kenya. Similarly,
why not France setting up a space centre at that general time in
present-day Guyana or Surinam (e.g. if French Guiana is a part of
Brazil)?