Old October 27th 10, 02:40 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dan Birchall[_3_]

Default alternate location for French/European spaceport

(Yofie) wrote:
On 26 oct, 00:29, Dan Birchall wrote:
Given that Suriname was a Dutch colony and Guyana a British one, I
don't think either would be a good choice for a French spaceport.
If French Guiana were unavailable, one of France's other overseas
"departements" might have been a better choice - perhaps Reunion,
or somewhere in French Polynesia?

The problem is, other French colonies like Reunion, Guadeloupe, or
French Polynesia are either too small or too mountainous (or both) to
allow for such facilities. Besides which, the French did investigate
some sites in non-French areas like Brazil, Australia, Sri Lanka,
Trinidad, and Somalia.

Somalia, interesting. You know about Italy's Luigi Broglio Space Centre
off the coast of Kenya, right?

--
djb@ | Dan Birchall - Observation System Associate - Subaru Telescope.
naoj | Views I express are my own, obviously not those of my employer.