Old September 16th 09, 12:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

Default US captured V-1 missile tests 1949 - 1951

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.space.history message ,
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 04:38:24, Derek Lyons posted:
Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In sci.space.history message ,
Mon, 14 Sep 2009 03:18:12, Derek Lyons posted:
Dr J R Stockton wrote:

For a solid, assuming that the case bursts, rather than the propellant
actually detonating, the initial bang may be no more than a warship
should be designed to accept from enemy munitions.

You have utterly no fecking clue what you are talking about - that
'initial bang' [that a warship is capable of enduring] is equivalent
of a solid motor roughly big enough to toss a potato the length of a
football pitch... I.E. insignificiant.

Evidently you have only served in shoddy ships. The HMS Vanguard which
I have been on was much more solidly built.

Note that HMS Victorious took three successive kamikaze hits, and was
launching planes within the hour. A certain other Navy was less robust.

I exaggerate some, but the essence of there - no ship can (or ever
had) been able to take the internal detonation of any but the smallest
range of militarily useful solid rocket motors.

It was with that possibility in mind that I wrote, as you quoted,
"assuming that the case bursts, rather than the propellant actually
detonating".

Once you get above
1klb equivalent, which isn't a big motor, you're talking ship killers.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.