Old July 2nd 17, 10:49 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Gone quiet here

It has been mentioned in chatter I've heard that some of the spooks sets
which are also so called earth resources sats that a problem with sat
receivers in Japan has made looking at that country at certain wavelengths
hard as these receivers are now so sensitive they pick up leakage through
the lnb to the dishes if the sat is in line with the broadcast sat.
I would have thought that a home dish was far too small even for a milliwatt
transmission to be seen in space myself, but what else could it be?

I understand there is also great concern that the gentleman's agreement that
authorities around the world will not use critical radio astronomy
frequencies may be out the window as frequencies are being squeezed for
mobile data use.

Even people like myself who used to enjoy listening to stations around the
world directly on a radio are now finding that switch mode psus, internet
over the mains cable devices and sundry unscreened heaps of junk being
churned out are making it almost impossible unless you embark on a field
trip to some place well away from civilisation!
RF pollution is here and probably hear to stay.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

Nothing since the bits of news.

Just waiting for the next SpaceX launch. I think it's coming up this
Sunday. That will make three launches in less than two weeks.

Does the iss have any capability to 'see' radio transmissions on the
ground
so that their point of emmination can be determined. Could be good for
looking for sources of interference.

Not that I know of. The "spooks" have signal intelligence satellites,
but I'm not sure how good they are at pinpointing the direction of the
source. I get the impression they are more of a "dragnet", pulling in
as many signals as they can get.

Jeff