Old October 9th 08, 08:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Light2

Default Redshift 3 and Vista after installation - will only run from CD

Virtual PC 2007 does not support Vista Home Premium
We`ll stick to the real sky,
instead of one which has to be generated via Microsoft ;-)
And doing all this confirmation on and on just for opening a menu-window in
VHP
is better spend under the stars.
Clear skies.

"Chris L Peterson" wrote
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:25:09 +0200, "Light2" wrote:

Windows Vista is turning my hair into grey.
The new pc with Vista, now demands that a LOT of the old programs
neeeds the CD in the -drive ongoing to be executed,
even though they were meant to be installed and executed from the hardrive
only,
once installated.
For instance Redshift 3, which refuses to run without the CD.
(Works fine on our old XP machine)
Copying all the files to the HDD on the new PC and executing from there
doesn´t help.

Any suggestions ?

IMO you can't really complain when a program that was designed around
DOS doesn't work with a new, and substantially different operating
system. While my primary advice would be to convert to a newer
planetarium program, something designed with a modern OS in mind, my
second suggestion would be to try running your old software in a virtual
machine. VirtualPC is a free download from Microsoft, and you can set up
several if you like, running XP, W98, or even DOS. You can then install
your old software in whichever machine is most appropriate.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com