Old July 18th 03, 07:47 PM
Jon Isaacs

Default Newbie Eyepieces 101

Does anyone have a FAQ or care to engage in a short Eyepieces 101 thread? I
have an 8'' Harden Optical Dob. I am very fond of the scope. I bought the
biggest bucket I could afford, now I would like to learn more about
eyepieces, in the hopes of adding to my default set. I don't know where to
start.

There are lots of possibilities and options out there. Do some reading,
www.cloudynights.com has lots of comparisons and reviews, all of course to be
taken with a grain of salt.

For someone on something of a budget, I suggest considering the Orion Expanse
eyepieces or the similar (identical) eyepieces offered by other vendors.

These are 6, 9, 15 and 20 mm 66 degree FOV eyepieces. I have the first three
and have been very pleased with them, as sharp in the center as plossls, very
acceptable edge performance, I rarely use anything else these days. They do
have some ghosting issues but this does not seem to bother me.

Prior to acquiring these, I used a variety of decent plossls (Ultima, Parks,
and some standard Celestron) and some UO ortho's.

The other day (as I have pointed out previously), I was using the 6mm with an
Ultima barlow, paracorr with my 10inch brother of your scope and was able to
get nice sharp airy disks and diffraction rings, this amounts to about 500X so
that eyepiece can't be all bad.

I think these make a nice set of eyepieces for use in your 8 inch F6 DOB. Add
an Orion Deluxe shorty (on sale) and you have lots of nice possibilities.
Certainly you can spend more money and may will want to in the long run, but
these seem to do a decent job.

jon