Old September 1st 15, 07:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
LdB[_2_]

Default Amazingly brutal optical test site. No SCT left alive!

On 8/25/2015 7:03 PM, Uncarollo2 wrote:

Can your Mallincam do this:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/content...1_ngc3582.jpeg

If not, I don't need it.

Uncadeepsky

The Mallincam Universe certainly can, in the hands of a skilled astro
photographer like yourself.

I'm not an astro photographer, I'm a viewer. I generally limit my deep
sky view exposures to a minute or two with the video cameras. Maybe as
high as five minutes with the Universe. I may or may not process
images on the fly so to speak but the actual time spent processing is
less than a minute for any series of exposures.

What I do cannot be compared with what you do. You may spend several
days working on an image. I spend several minutes working with and
viewing mine. You get to see the pretty picture, I get to see what
the telescope is pointed at. The only trouble would be to determine
which of us was the happiest.

Take a look at what people are doing on the Mallincam Forum. It is one
of the Yahoo groups. I believe you can find it here.

There are thousands of images from all the Mallincams. Some are
processed as yours, some are simple screen grabs of the video as it is
being viewed. More and more are using software to process images as
they are being viewed. You will see a difference between the older and
newer images. You will even find a few of mine over there as well.

There is no denying our imaging is not on the same level as yours but
with every improvement in the cameras and software we get a bit
closer. Remember we are viewing live or as near to live as possible.

The holy grail of video astronomy is to "Have a Hubble in the back
yard." When one sees how far electronic viewing has progressed in the
last few years the idea may not be as far fetched as some would think.
You may not need a Mallincam but you should at least keep an eye on
the competition. You never know when someone will streak past, leaving
you chocking in his dust.

Let's not leave out the poor eyepiece users. They are always looking
for new ways to improve their view.

Here is a list of the new ideas and methods they have developed in the
last few generations.

..
..
..