Old November 18th 19, 12:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Steel for Shuttle

In article ,
says...

On 2019-11-17 10:00, Jeff Findley wrote:

Sure. All of such "sensitive" equipment would likely have additional
insulation and possibly even active cooling.

Active oooling becomes more problematic/costly on a cargo ship whose
volume is in vacuum.

This statement makes no sense. Starship is an upper stage whose
propellant tanks contain both cryogenic methane and cryogenic LOX.
There is your potential source of active cooling of things like
"sensitive equipment" during reentry. But, my guess is they don't need
even that. Reentry and landing is intense, but relatively brief so
active cooling using cryogenics isn't likely needed, IMHO.

If you need to run pipes carrying
ammonia/water/whateer to every noon and cranny to keep equipment within
limits, the weight of your vehicles starts to matter.

You didn't even click on the links I provided to high temperature
aerospace wiring, did you? You keep acting like Starship is the first
aerospace vehicle to experience atmospheric heating. SpaceX has
designed not one, but two reentry vehicles so far (Dragon and Dragon 2).
Both have flown successfully. There is zero evidence that any Dragon
has experienced any heat related issues during reentry.

That experience will transfer to the design of Starship.

Renmember that the initial justification for going to steel was that
while steel was heavier, it allows a reduction of heat tile weight that
is greater that weight ibcrease of going from aluminium/carbon to steel.

And you keep ignoring that steel has a lower thermal conductivity than
aluminum.

But if, once they factor in all the issues, the addition of inside
insulation, active cooling, and mreo tiles ends up adding more weight
than originally anticipated, the performance advantages of going to
steel may be lost.

For the umpteenth time, they've done the thermal analyses on this! CAE
is a thing. NASA has been doing CAE since the 1960s. NASA *literally*
created the CAE industry. Cites:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nastran

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19740006499

But as a business, it is possible that having a super heavy dump truck
may turn out to be a better business than having a lightweight ferrari
to deliver the same payloads.

The above is word salad. Starship is no "lightweight Ferrari". The
prototypes mass 200 tons *dry*.

Jeff