Old February 22nd 04, 03:37 PM
Jon Isaacs

Default Roman telescope

That's not what I'd build if I were dropped into that period of history. I'd
make a Newtonian reflector. It would be quite practical to build one 4-6
inches
in aperture using commonly available materials. The quality of the glass can
be much lower with a reflecting telescope, and there is less glass grinding
required. The only lens would be the ocular- much smaller than a refractive
objective.

A Newtonian was my first thought but silvering the mirror seemed like the real
problem. Newtonian mirrors were metal until sometime in the 1800's...

I guess one could make a silver Newtonian mirror.

I don't expect to hear from uncle Rod on this one, pretty difficult to make an
SCT in 200BC...

jon