Old March 21st 17, 09:18 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

Default NET Angular Momentum of Globular cluster of stars

In article ,
writes:
Is the NET angular momentum of a globular cluster of stars, zero?

I think that's the case for most clusters, but I vaguely remember
that there are a tiny number that show rotation. I might be mistaken
on either part of this.

Is the NET angular momentum of an elliptical galaxy and or the
central bulge of a spiral, zero or close to zero

For elliptical galaxies, a quick web search turned up
https://academic-oup-com/mnras/artic...6.2011.18496.x

The authors claim 86% of early type galaxies are "fast rotators." I
haven't studied the paper to find out what that means or what sample
they defined.

I expect there are many more works on this subject; as I say, it was
a very quick search.

There are also lots of theory papers simulating major mergers, from
which elliptical galaxies are supposed to form. The simulation
results must include a final angular momentum.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA