Old May 23rd 19, 11:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default NASA?s full Artemis plan revealed: 37 launches and a lunar outpost

In article ,
says...

There seems to be a lot of concern in the thread on
the landing vehicle. The original must have used an
inertial guidance system. But these days we have
work going on for GPS airliner landing systems.

It might be worth the effort to put a GPS constellation
around the moon. The question would then be to
use an automated monitoring system or make an earth
moon network connection.

The goal is to allow zero-zero airliner landings.
So why not moon landers.

We'd have to be landing hundreds of craft on the moon in order to
justify GPS on the moon, IMHO. Besides, we had instrument landing
technology on aircraft long before GPS. We can apply similar techniques
today.

Since the moon has no weather, clouds, or even air to obscure the
surface, we can do precision landings based on imagery. For height
above the surface, radar and laser range-finders will suffice (both on
the landing craft and on the surface). For things like a lunar base,
you could put laser retro-reflectors around the landing pad to allow for
precise positional landings.

Jeff