Old December 2nd 10, 12:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 2146

On 12/1/2010 1:00 PM, glen youman wrote:
Two too brief periods of clear sky allowed me to collect luminance
data to replace poor luminance data collected in 2005.

Blinking the frames I selected for use was quite interesting as it
showed the frequent and rapid changes in both seeing and transparencey
that occur duiring the winter season. I was able to use about 60% of
the collected frames.

NGC 2146
Camelopardalis
Penryn, California
December 2003/2010
FS-128 (ag, ST-4) ST-10XME RGB 10 minute subs (2003)
M 250 @ f9.3 (ag, ST-4) ST-10XME Lum 10 minute subs (2010)

NGC 2146 is a star burst galaxy still experiencing the effects of a
collision or close encounter with NGC 2146a some tens of millions of
years ago. NGC 2146 is classified SBa-b/P, Surface brightness is
12.8 and red shift distance is 41 Mly.

Nice close up of it.

That's one I'd like to do. How Arp missed it I don't know.
Unfortunately, at 78 degrees it is well into my Polaris tree and thus
out of reach. Sigh...

Rick