Old August 27th 14, 05:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default Evidence for Supernovas Near Earth

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:31:43 PM UTC-7, palsing wrote:
I found this article to be fascinating...

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...g_localbubble/

"August 26, 2014: Once every 50 years, more or less, a massive star explodes somewhere in the Milky Way. The resulting blast is terrifyingly powerful, pumping out more energy in a split second than the sun emits in a million years. At its peak, a supernova can outshine the entire Milky Way.

It seems obvious that you wouldn't want a supernova exploding near Earth. Yet there is growing evidence that one did -- actually, more than one. About 10 million years ago, a nearby cluster of supernovas went off like popcorn. We know because the explosions blew an enormous bubble in the interstellar medium, and we're inside it."

\Paul A

Just Sirius(b) becoming a white dwarf was an event worthy of getting some attention. In fact, the nebula birth of those Sirius stars must have been an impressive era.