Old November 10th 12, 01:32 PM posted to sci.astro
Peter Riedt

Default Calculating the EXACT mass of the sun

On Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:49:27 AM UTC+8, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In sci.astro message 36f6dcb8-4f4e-4071-a649-3e61eaed1d32@googlegroups.

com, Sun, 4 Nov 2012 16:54:51, Peter Riedt posted:

Calculating the EXACT mass of the sun

Before you can calculate the EXACT mass of the Sun, you first need to

define what that actually *means*. In the Solar System, only bodies

smaller than the Moon can have a definite boundary.

You need to include the date as well, since the Sun loses around 1500

million tonnes per day in photons alone. It also gains occasional

comets.

You also need to consider the traceability of the mass standards used to

the BIPM kilogram.

The meaning of "exact" in metrology is definitely not of itself exact.

--

(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Mail via homepage. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.

Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links;

Dr Stockton, I agree with your comments. However, I believe my calculations
confirmed two facts:

1. The value of G is certain.
2. Applying r and the adjusted v of nine different planets and using
a variant of Kepler's third planetary law produced one identical result
for GM.