Old October 5th 10, 05:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default Solar Power Satellite Concept

But this interpretation of yours is only worth perhaps a trillion or
so payback per year, so obviously that's still not good enough for
those in charge. Make it worth $10 trillion per year, and I bet that
gets there attention.

~ BG

On Sep 4, 2:59*pm, William Mook wrote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/35439593/S...-Satellite-GEO

The 600 ton 10,000 MW 5.2 km diameter solar power satellite is
equipped with solar powered MEMS based ion rockets for maneuvering and
station keeping. *Since the ion rockets have a 50 km/sec exhaust
velocity, and 50 m/sec per year is needed for station keeping and
attitude control. *This means that over 30 years useful life 3% of the
vehicle weight (18 tons) of propellant are needed.

To fly from LEO to GEO requires that 2.06 km/sec be added to the
satellite. *With a 50 km/sec exhaust speed, this requires an
additional 4% vehicle weight (25 tons added to the 600 ton mass) be
ion rocket propellant.

To fly to Lagrange point 1 - the point between Earth and Moon -
requires only 0.77 km/sec. *This is only 1.5% of the total mass - or
9.2 tons of added propellant to the 600 ton satellite.

So, deploying these satellites to useful orbits in GEO and around
cislunar space is achieved for the launcher I've described.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30943696/ETDHLRLV

To fly to Jupiter fly-by requires 9.2 km/sec delta vee. *This requires
16.8% added propellant. *This is 121.2 tons of added propellant to the
600 ton reference mass.

A 300 ton reference mass requires 60.6 metric tons of added
propellant.

Launching two 300 ton satellites - one to Jupiter and one to GEO -
requires 60.6 tons of added propellant to the Jupiter bound satellite
and 12.5 tons to be added to the GEO bound satellite. *The pair is
launched and the total mass is 673.1 tons for the pair and the
propellant they consume.

Why fly to Jupiter?

Because a fly-by at Jupiter opens up flights to the outer solar
system, as well as flights close to the Sun!

http://ulysses.jpl.nasa.gov/science/...yby_intro.html

Flying by Jupiter allows the gravity of the planet to slow the
approaching spacecraft to zero speed relative to the Sun. *Which
causes the satellite to fall into the Sun - coming to rest only 3.75
miliion km from the Sun.

At this distance solar light is 1,600x more intense than at Earth. *At
this distance solar light is the same intensity as the light at the
focal point of the 5.2 km diameter concentrator, illuminating the 125
meter diameter CPV/FEL array. *At this distance the 300 ton spacecraft
that is only 500 meters in diameter *- 1/10th the diameter and 1/100th
the area of the larger concentrator - intercepts 430 billion watts of
solar power and generates a laser beam 250 billion watts. *The solar
satellite beams energy to a sister satellite in GEO. *The sister
satellite regenerates this energy with 98% efficiency to form
controlled beams to many users simultaneously. *220 million users at
1,000 watts each - users that are stationary and in motion on and
around Earth. *Users combine beams to receive any amount of power
desired using *a holographic control technique I've developed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QAUkt2VPHI

The two 500 meter diameter satellites deliver 220 billion watts of
energy to Earth, yet cost little more than the 10 billion watt
satellite described earlier. *This more advanced satellite will
replace the 10 billion watt satellites once they are fully *worked
out, using a portion of the revenue generated by the first generation
satellites.

For space travel enthusiasts we can see that a 220 billion watt laser
beam when used with moderate efficiency will produce 5,000 metric tons
of force in a rocket with a 9.2 km/sec exhaust speed. *A two stage
rocket similar to the one described previously is 25x bigger, so
payloads are 25x bigger - all things being equal. *So, instead of
11.25 tons to the moon, we have 281.25 metric tons to the moon.

A single stage to Earth orbit vehicle using laser rocket of this
capability - powered by the 220 billion watt beam - puts 920 metric
tons into Earth orbit with a 3,700 ton single stage vehicle smaller
than the 4,900 ton chemical rocket assembly described earlier. *This
launcher places 800 meter diameter third generation power satellites
that generate 637 billion watts for direct beaming anywhere in the
solar system.

For anyone who doubts we can beam energy from 3.75 million km to
anywhere across the solar system with an 800 meter diameter laser
emitter with conjugate optics window, consider what we did 20 years
ago with 2 cm wavelengths at the VLA with a 36 km baseline.

Here's a picture of Venus taken from New Mexico

http://cygnus.colorado.edu/apas1030i...cakesvenus.jpg

The smallest features are 1 km across.

With a 1 um wavelength and an 800 m baseline resolution of 2 meters is
possible. *With UV wavelength centimeters are possible. * This
calculation is easy to perform;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk

With larger satellites, more energy and more accuracy are possible.
With beams 3x the energy, thrusts in rockets can be 3x larger which
means 3x larger payloads. *Which means 1.73x larger diameters and 3x
the power level.

2 trillion watts of power - centimeter beaming accuracy anywhere
throughout the inner solar system from a power satellite that is
nearly a mile across orbiting 2.5 million miles from the Sun.

Of course, the cycle is repeated. *The 5,000 ton thrust vehicle is
joined by a 15,000 ton thrust vehicle and the 900 tons on orbit is
replaced with 2,700 tons on orbit just by increasing beam energy. *The
280 ton payload two stage moon ship is replaced with an 840 ton
payload two stage moonship.

And the 2 trillion watt 1.4 km diameter power satellite is joined by a
6 trillion watt 2.4 km diameter power satellite.

This ups the ante - 45,000 ton SSTO rockets launch 2,700 tons to orbit
and ships routinely transport 2,520 tons to the moon and back. *The
smaller vehicles are adapted to operate between worlds, efficiently
establishing industrial operations across the solar system.

At the 6 trillion watt 2.4 km diameter level using 224 nm wavelength
Deep Ultra Violet lasers

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...www.photonsyst....

We can efficiently beam energy from 3.75 million km from the Sun to 20
billion km. *Well beyond the solar system.

This not only gives us the ability to travel at will across the solar
system using laser rockets and laser light sails

We can also establish power regenerators at the focal point of the
Sun's own gravity lens.

http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=785

This not only is used as a powerful telescope to image distant planets
orbiting distant stars, it is also useful as a place to beam energy
efficiently to laser light sail powered star ships.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/25409919/Star-Ship

That's because the gravity of the sun itself forms a virtual lens the
diameter of the solar system! *So, powerful laser sources located at
that distant focal point are efficiently beamed anywhere in the galaxy
to propel laser light sails.

Another important feature of this location deep in the Kuiper belt -
is the ability to send signals to the super-massive 2 million solar
mass black hole at the center of our galaxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A*

This black hole is rotating. *A region the size of Mercury's orbit
around the sun, called the ergosphere, is a region where some very
interesting things can happen;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergosphere

Due to the operation of relativity, something entering the ergosphere
can leave the region BEFORE it entered the region.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHC8z...ime/sagan.html

So, an accurately aimed beam sent to the 2 million solar mass black
hole at the galactic center not only returns after circling the black
hole, but returns BEFORE it arrives, implementing a negative time
loop. *Such a negative loop once established, can then be varied to
send information through time - as well as send information to far
flung starships instantly. *Implementing an advanced form of phase
control to power track and propel ships.

Not only would a negative time loop open up the possibility of time
signaling, it opens up the possibility of advanced logistics - imagine
going into a restaurant ordering your meal, and having it arrive
instantly. *What happened? *Your order was entered into an
interstellar internet and sent back in time 20 minutes - so it was
ready as you walked in. *Imagine ordering a custom couch for your home
and arriving home just as the delivery van with your custom order
pulls into your drive. *Imagine being measured for a custom tailored
suit and having the suit ready for fitting immediately after
measuring. *Time signaling also opens up the possibility of tele-
robotics across all time and space. * A remotely controlled robot like
Asimo

http://www.physorg.com/news188064151...?v=Q3C5sc8b3xM

is dispatched to a distant location and provides instant telepresence
with feedback to the sender - even though the robot is decades or
perhaps centuries in the future and light years distant.

Using negative time loops as logical elements in a computer processor
allows for a sort of advanced computing not possible today. *Instead
of sorting through all the possibilities, a simpler sort of comparison
with future states is implemented. *In this way Artificial
Intelligence of a type not possible today becomes easily achieved

http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~hpm/proje...articles/1998/...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ByGQGiVMg

Of course, as all this development goes on, assuming there is an
economic reason for doing so, we will continue to increase the size of
our laser systems and laser propulsion systems to match, along with
their accuracy both in space and time.

A few more interesting calculations...

6 trillion watts reflected off a highly efficient reflector

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...www.jlab.org/~....

produces 4.11 metric tons of force and its speed can approach that of
light.

Distance to Sag A*: 27,000 light years = 2.556e+20 meters
Diameter of Gravity Lens formed by the Sun = 15e+12 meters diameter

* 2.556e+20 * 1.22 * 250e-9 / 15e+12 = 5.2 meters

We can resolve a 5.2 m diameter spot on Sag A* or hit a 5.2 m spot on
Sag A* using the sun as a gravity lens. *Using a 2 um wavelength this
is 52 meters - and using a 2 cm wavelength we can hit a 520 km
diameter spot.

Since Sag A* black hole is 44 million km in diameter - any of these
resolutions should be adequate to beam information to and Sag A* and
back - through the Ergosphere - through time.

The interesting thing is that by using Sag A* own gravity as a gravity
lens, we can efficiently beam energy across the cosmos, and through
time - using the gravity field of the Sun, or a distant star, as a
collimator for that energy arriving from Sag A* giving us greater
flexibility than merely sending signals through time.

* *Gen IV *Power Sat * *6 *TW * *4.1 metric ton force thrust
* *Gen V * Power Sat * 18 TW * 12.3 metric ton force thrust
* *Gen VI *Power Sat * 54 TW * *37.0 metric ton force thrust

At this point a single satellite beams nearly as much energy as is
generated by all of human industry today. *Laser rockets give way to
laser reflectors that produce thrust with zero use of propellant.

* *Gen VII Power Sat 162 TW *111.0 metric ton force thrust
* *Gen VIIIPower Sat 486 TW *333.0 metric ton force thrust
* *Gen IX *Power Sat 1,458 TW *1,000 metric ton force thrust

At this point we can begin contemplating creating engineered black
hole dusts. *Colliding shaped masses made of Iron-56 at speeds greater
than 1/3 light speed we are capable of creating engineered black
holes. *Causing these black holes to interact implements a wide range
of processes, including logical processes as well as energy
processes. *Sending black hole dusts to Sag A* through the same paths
around the twisted spacetime of that supermassive black hole, that we
use to communicate information and energy, we also send these
engineered objects.

In the ergosphere we can also tap into the energy contained in the 4
million solar mass black hole. *This process was first worked out in
1969

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_process

So, once we make a small collection of engineered black holes, we can
cause them to orbit one another, and then eject a third engineered
black hole precisely toward Sag A* - following a guide beam. *The
engineered black hole returns back at its point of departure in space-
time, with a twin, as it departs. *The original black hole and its
twin is sent again on the journey through spacetime - and they each
arrive with twins...

In this way, once mastery of engineered black holes is attained, they
are replicated in endless number as quickly as we can handle their
logistics.

* * * * * Sag A* * * *8.8e+36 kg
Asteroid Belt * * * 3.6e+21 kg
Human Industry *2.8e+10 kg/year

These mass comparisons are very interesting. *If we find a way to tap
into the massenergy of the supermassive black hole at the galaxy's
center, we have access to 22,000x more material in far more useful
form, than ALL the asteroid belts in the ENTIRE GALAXY! *The asteroid
belt even if only 1% of it is useful to human industry could supply
humanity at the current rate for 1.2 billion years! *If 10 billion
people consumed material at the same rate as the 64 wealthiest people
on Earth and we only used 0.1% of the total, we'd still have enough in
the asteroid belt to supply such a civilization for 10 million
years!

The amount of material in the black hole at the center of the galaxy
is 2 quadrillion times more plentiful than that - and the ergo sphere
by operation of black hole twinning through the Penrose process -
allows us to make ANYTHING - by engineering atomic sized black holes
that decay into objects of any sort to be delivered anywhere in the
galaxy any time the ergosphere of the black hole is visible in the
sky.

Constructing a partial Dyson Sphere - a Dyson Ring -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere

Made of large collections of massive space colonies - each 20 km in
diameter and 50 km long - 2,000 of them stacked 100,000 km in length
above and below the orbital plane - orbiting next to one another -
47.5 million lines - totalling 95 billion stations each 3,100 sq km in
area - totaling 3 quadrillion square kilometers.

With the ability to travel through time *we are permitted then to
replicate every personality at some point in the future - and supply
those persons with an ideal environment for their development. *There
are 7 billion people alive today. *Population has doubled since 1966 -
44 years ago - 3.5 billion. *44 years before that 1922 population was
2 billion a little larger than the 1.75 billion expected with constant
doubling, meaning our growth rate accelerated over the past 88 years.
Population estimate in 1804 was 1 billion - 118 years prior to 1922 -
again showing the rate accelerated over the years previous.

In Roman times it is estimated that world population was 200 million

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d_population_g...

It is estimated that we will grow to 14 billion before advancing
wealth and technology -both of which are associated with reduced
population growth in wealthier nations- before population declines.
As soon as birth rates begin to decline, the population will begin to
drop. *As medical science advances, death rates will decline too.
Assuming infinitely long lives (greater than 10,000 years) in the face
of declining reproductive rates, lead to a static population about 28
billion.

To date, all people who ever lives are about 10 billion. *Over the
next 25 years we can expect another 7 billion to be added to the
total. *If we peak at 14 billion - the total will be 30 billion -
throughout all of history. *If we peak at 28 billion - the total will
be 60 billion.

We have just described a means to quickly erect 95 billion very large
space stations on orbit around the Sun each 3,100 sq km in area. *So,
a family of four would command the resources - including a large
population of advanced AI robots - of 6 such stations

http://dsc.discovery.com/space/top-1...bridge-450.jpg

If we closely examine all people who *could* have been born throughout
history, but were not, or whose lives were cut short, this figure
would quadruple by some estimates - a total of 1.5 stations per family
of four.