Old September 14th 04, 12:11 AM
Alexander Avtanski

Andy Thurkettle wrote:

I live in Stroud Glos, UK, and just saw three quite faint light passing from
nnw to sse almost directly overhead. The local time was within a few minutes
of 22.30 BST. There was one leading with two trailing. the rear two were
about three times as far from the front one as they are from each other.
They passed in front of three seperate stars which were clearly visible, so
I am certain it was not a very slow low plane, and there were no navigation
lights.

Is it possible that this could be a satelite group that is not listed in
heavens above?

I realise that I am new to this group, buty would REALLY appreciate any
assitance, since in many nights of watching the sky and satelites, I have
never seen anything like it at all.

Thanks

This looks like a NOSS trio - fun to watch. Those are listed at Heavens-Above,
but if you do not specifically search for them, they most probably will not
show up in the list of satellites for the night, because are quite faint.

From main heavens-above page klick "Select staellite" and enter "NOSS%" in the
Satellite name box. If I'm not wrong, what you saw was NOSS-2:

Date: 13 Sep
Mag: 6.2
Start: 22:20:06 10-degrees [NW]
Max.Alt.: 22:27:31 75-degrees [SW]