Old July 9th 08, 03:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Mercury spacecraft cooling question

Rick Jones wrote:
It is drifting, but while perusing some of the hits I got, I came
across this one:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...romoid=googlep

which I thought was somewhat interesting.

This one:

"On the Cooper flight, the control cords holding the retrorocket package
to the capsule failed to fall free as intended because the explosive
separating devices 'were not loaded with the appropriate charge.' "

.....is very similar to the equipment module separation problems the
Vostok spacecraft had that would leave the two spacecraft modules
attached by a umbilical till aerodynamic forces during reentry pulled
them apart.

Pat