Old November 27th 05, 11:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Why .avi format ?

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:28:20 -0500, Tom Rauschenbach
wrote:

From reading this newsgroup I understand that .avu format seems to be the
conventional file format for digital imaging. I usually associate that
format with motion pictures. Why is that the format used for
time exposures through a telescope ?

The AVI format is only used for solar system imaging where the object
is not dim (e.g. the planets and the moon), the exposure is 1/10 sec
or so, and the goal is to get numerous images that 'freeze' moments of
good seeing from which to pick the best for stacking to increase
contrast and decrease image noise.

Time exposure astro imagers do not use AVI.

---
Michael McCulloch