Old October 1st 03, 01:52 AM
Tony Flanders

Default OR: A few random star hops

(Axel) wrote in message . com...

As for NGC 6822 (Barnard's Galaxy) itself, what can I say? Nothing,
really. I saw quite a few faint foreground stars where the galaxy was
supposed to be, but no smudge indicating the object itself...
Then I read the description in the NSOG and realized that this
galaxy was likely out of my poor scope's league.

Actually, NGC 6822 does not require much aperture. It is slightly
easier to see in my 12.5" scope than in my 7", but quite visible
in both. And I have heard reports of people seeing it in 7x50
binoculars, which isn't all that surprising if you think about it.

The problem is that NGC 6822 has very low surface brightness,
is very large, and is utterly lacking in sharp edges or condensations.
Not just a little vague like M33 or M101, but *really* vague.
Keep working at it, though!

- Tony Flanders