Old August 13th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
[email protected]

Default Perseid meteor

On 13 Aug, 13:11, Andy Guthrie wrote:
Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:16:15 +0100, Pete Lawrence
wrote:

Meteors are statistical beasts and even in high activity showers you
can go for ages without seeing anything. Observing close to dawn will
increase the chances of seeing a meteor markedly. Satellites are more
predictable and I normally only have to wait a few minutes before the
first one can be spotted from my garden.

It's the unpredictability that makes seeing a meteor more rewarding.

Since the Leonids a few years ago when I was counting 8-10 per minute I
get impatient with last night's 2 in 45 minutes ! I've been spoiled

I don't know why people in the UK were told to view the sky from
11pm. The Pleiades are only clearly visible in the southern sky
around 3-4pm, at least from Scotland.