Old November 14th 06, 09:36 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Danny Dot[_1_]

Default NASA culture worse than industry?

"Gareth Slee" wrote in message
. ..
Danny Dot wrote:

Two commissions have written up that NASA culture is a major cause of our
two shuttle accidents. They site that engineers are afraid to speak up
as
part of the problem.

My question is this: Is the culture worse at NASA than other places, or
does
NASA have problems that are in other industries, and these other places
get
away with it because the problem with their culture doesn't result in a
highly visible catastrophic event. Maybe a comparison to oil refineries
and
chemical plants would be useful. In these industries, catastrophic
events
can happen if the culture allows unsafe practices to continue to happen.

Danny Dot

I work in the Steel industry in the UK. It can certainly be counted has
a dangerous occupation since we've had 11 fatalities in the last 10
years. Although when you consider the inherent dangers in the steel
industry we're not doing that badly I guess?
We have a major push at the moment in regards to safety but the general
consensus is that production comes before safety.
I guess the accident statistics over the next couple of years will
reveal whether the safety initiatives were succesfull or not.

--

Let me ask you this: If management made a decision that you thought was
unsafe, would you feel comfortable speak up against the decision? At NASA

Danny Dot
www.mobbinggonemad.org
Gareth Slee
http://www.meroffice.com