Old March 18th 08, 04:14 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if,alt.astronomy
BradGuth

Default Earth w/o Moon / by Brad Guth

Darwin123 wrote:

Two body collisions, involving Newtonian gravity and rigid
bodies, can never result in one body capturing the other in orbit.

What's rigid about our 98.5% fluid Earth, along with having perhaps as
great as 10 fold greater atmospheric density as of that era, or for
that matter of our moon with its soft, low density or semi-hollow
core, and otherwise covered by as great as a 268 km thick layer of
salty ice?

Simple considerations of energy and momentum won't allow it. Simple
equations. The real system may very well have been more complicated,
but then you have to provide us with a simple approximation of the
forces involved. You haven't done this with either the moon or
Sirius.

Let me guess, you're not actually ever going to help unless I specify
absolutely every nitpicken detail.

How much encounter impact morphing energy would it have taken to
create the arctic ocean basin?

If you can't tell us what force interaction produced the capture,
then there is absolutely no way to do a computer simulation. Or
rather, there are trillions of different force interactions that can
produce the capture you seem sure of. There is no way, with all the
computers in the world running in parallel, that one can test each and
every interaction.
If there are no plausible force laws known, there is no plausible
computer simulation. You just claim the capture occurred.
By the way, did you come up with this prehistory yourself? You
keep on making comments from left field as though we should know what
you are talking about. You never really explained why Sirius was
closer rather than any other star, why the moon contains salt, or any
other claim. Could you please provide us with some chain of reference
for your model? Or are you connected to psychic hotline?

Can I ask if you are a deductive thinking human, or is it another
Borg like collective or some kind of weird faith-based swarm thing of
denial?

Give Earth whatever mass and fluid softness makes you a happy camper.

Give that icy proto-moon a worthy diameter of 4000 km and perhaps
8.5e22 kg.

If you like, give the lithobraking encounter a glancing contact
velocity of just 2 km/s, then further adjust that velocity of contact
in order to suit whatever a deep ocean basin forming effort would
demand.

Select the angle of contact that could have best created or having
increased our seasonal tilt.
.. - Brad Guth