Old September 10th 04, 02:54 AM
Gallery Neolithica

Default Genesis-Wildfire

"Based on the Genesis experience, the space agency's planetary protection
officer advised, "NASA will gain knowledge that will greatly aid in an
eventual sample return from Mars or some other location that might have more
interest from a potentially biological perspective."
-space.com, 8-30-4

Imagine if this payload contained a viable pathogen from Mars. Would we have
had to nuke the valley in a cheap remake of The Andromeda Strain? Dugway's
containments are useless if the capsule ruptures BEFORE getting there. As a
helicopter pilot I can tell you that entire scenario is UNSAFE for
biopotential sample returns.

What NASA has demonstrated is that biopotential sample return missions
should be delivered NO CLOSER THAN LEO to quarantine in the International
Space Station. We are playing with Wildfire, and this time we dodged the
bullet.