Old March 12th 04, 10:19 AM
David Knisely

Default Double shadow on Jupiter tonight

Absolutely spectacular! I watched it in my NexStar 9.25, and seeing was
outstanding. I could easily seen Europa's shadow, but I kept watching
something along the equatorial belt which turned out to be Europa itself. I
have never seen the shadow of a moon so close to the moon itself. When Io
came onto the disk, I could track it more easily than Europa, but when Io's
shadow came on, it reminded me of a scene from the movie "2010", where the big
black spot comes around. Boy, was that an impressive shadow! What was also
fun was seeing detail in and around the Red spot in 'transit" itself. That
SCT is still amazing me. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *