Old February 17th 08, 12:35 PM posted to sci.archaeology.mesoamerican,alt.mythology,alt.native,alt.religion.mormon,sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Andrea Ghez And The Maya Ball Game

Andrea Ghez And The Maya Ball Game

Not a subject that I give energy to, but I had
a thought and instead of just dropping it into
a black hole I thought I'd at least take the time
to put it out there.

Happened to catch, back to back, snippets from two
programs. One snippet was on PBS and the other was
on the History Channel.

The History Channel program was about the Maya
climactic date of December 21, 2012 and the Earth's
special alignment with the galactic center on that date.

The program also talked about the Maya Ball game.
The video of the Mayan Ball game came immediately
to mind when I observed the video created for (by?)
Andrea Ghez which was shown during the PBS program.

The Andrea Ghez video shows the high speed dance of
stars that takes place at galactic center, presumably
around a great dark rift -- a black hole. The stars travel
at enormous speeds in ringed paths around a central
hole (the black hole). The stars try and try but they
never quite make it into the hole. They deflect away
and go bouncing out into space. But then the forces of
gravity kick the stars into a return path towards the hole
for another attempt.

This, of course, is analogous to the Maya Ball Game.
There are slopped walls on either side of the ball court
(or steep walls in some designs) which correspond to a
gravity well. The players keep the ball in motion and
they represent the force of gravity. And then there is
the hoop, or circle, that is the ultimate goal of the game.
Once the ball goes into the hoop the game is over and
some players are rewarded with death.

Here is a link to the Andrea Ghez video:
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/st...-in-the-milky-

way/1421750148

Here is a link to a recreation of a Maya Ball Game:
http://revver.com/video/221896/mayan-ball-game/

Someone posted a bit of the History Channel program
on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6wI3...eature=related

Would not surprise me if the connection, or attempted connection,
has been made a thousand times already between Andrea Ghez and the
Maya Ball Game, or then again...