Old November 23rd 06, 03:28 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Frank Glover[_1_]

Default What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?

tracy wrote:
According to this article, the mysterious super-high speed stars are
more numerous and fastest than previously though. What if one of these
"hypervelocity" stars came through Sun's neighborhood? How dangerous
it could be for life on Earth?

What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?

Depends on the mass of the star, just how fast, perhaps its angle
with respect to the plane of the eclptic and how much perturbation (you
can have detectable, but harmless changes) you consider disruptive.

All in all though, I'd say having another star (or stellar mass
object) pass within tens of billions of miles is not a good thing. Even
just stirring up the Oort Cloud or KBOs could result in signifigant
matter falling into the inner sloar system, and some of those rocks
could have our name on it....

--

Frank

You know what to remove to reply...

Check out my web page: http://www.geocities.com/stardolphin1/link2.htm

"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the
human spirit."
- Stephen Hawking