Old March 12th 08, 02:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Military vs Civilian Orbital Laboratories, Vehicles, and Crews

On Mar 12, 10:11*am, "
wrote:
On Mar 12, 8:55*am, wrote:

On Mar 12, 8:57*am, "
wrote:

On Mar 12, 7:28*am, wrote:

Get a clue people. *Eisenhower was advised that the National Academy
of Sciences should operate as a board directing NASAs strategic
direction and growth - a Space Council that recieves a set amount of
funding each year for five or ten year terms. *Eisenhower ignored
this.

To the best of your knowledge, or alternatively, in your opinion, what
was Reagan's attitude toward or relationship with the National Academy
of Sciences?

Does anyone know where the phrase - to boldly go where no man has gone
before - came from?

It did not come from Gene Roddenberry.

I will give the pointer to the source to anyone who asks.

Okay, thanks in advance.

JTM

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/report61.html

The Weisner Report briefing President Elect Kennedy on our space
capabilities.

Given time, a desire, considerable innovation, and sufficient effort
and money, man can eventually explore our solar system. Given his
enormous curiosity about the universe in which he lives and his
compelling urge to go where no one has ever been before, this will be
done.- Hide quoted text -

You not so neatly avoided my question about Reagan's relationship with
the National Academy of Sciences.

JTM- Hide quoted text -

I didn't see it sorry - it was seen by mee as -show quoted text -

http://www.fas.org/nuke/space/c06sdi_1.htm

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/

Ronald Reagan's records are no available on line the way Eisenhower
and Kennedy records are. So, I cannot say for sure. I do know that
after speaking with Edward Teller, Reagan did reach out to the
scientific community. OSTP was well established at that time and no
doubt coordinated his contact with the scientific community.

Like lil' Bush and WMDs in Iraq, Reagan tended to focus on the
conclusions he was after for strategic and national reasons having
nothing to do with science. As a result, there was a division between
'believers' and 'non-believers' in SDI. How this fell out, is hard to
tell without unfettered (and search engine enabled) access to
Presidential records from that time - organized by a thoughtful and
honest librarian historian.