Old April 24th 19, 12:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule destroyed in abort motor ground test

In article ,
says...

Hi all

Has anyone seen any official news or information from SpaceX
themselves? Their website hasn't yet been updated (last I
checked). Not exactly something that you want splashed all
over the front pages, but then again they have been amazingly
open about previous failures.

Nope, nothing "official" as far as I know. There was an initial
statement saying they were investigating with NASA, but that's it.

On an aside, assuming a total vehicle loss from this "anomaly"
how soon will the next test article be available? Does SpaceX
have a couple of capsules waiting or was this the only one?

NASA wanted new capsules for each flight to ISS, so I believe that the
capsule which was to be used for the first crewed flight to ISS is
pretty much ready to fly. I have no idea how far along other capsules
are, but I've got to believe they have several others in various stages
of assembly.

Flown Dragon 2 capsules are planned to be used for commercial cargo
missions to ISS. I understand that before they are used as cargo
vehicles, their SuperDraco engines (and presumably tanks and plumbing)
will be removed so that the capsule will have more cargo mass capacity.

But in the meantime, SpaceX has been refurbishing flown Dragon capsules
for commercial cargo missions to ISS. So I would think that they could
keep doing that in the absence of flown Dragon 2 capsules.

Jeff