Old January 6th 19, 10:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
JBI

Default New Horizons "stellar" course?

On 1/5/19 11:09 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
JBI wrote:
On 1/5/19 1:23 AM, wrote:
On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 8:51:04 AM UTC-5, JBI wrote:
Cannot find this information anywhere, but curious where New Horizons
would be heading in the long term, in other words what star? And also
are there any more visits to other objects planned besides the latest?
Thank you.
It seems to be heading in the general direction of Xi 1,2 Sagittarii, less than a degree to the east of those stars, perhaps.

Thank you, the information I was looking for.

So you believe blindly everything that you read?

No, I actually confirmed this same information after my initial post and
the reply here. I was waiting for a legitimate reply before I
responded, not something rude or condescending like yours. The idea was
to get a *ballpark* figure to share interesting calculations, such as
travel time to, say, that star, assuming no course or speed changes,
which would be highly unlikely of course.

Most non-astronomers don't have any idea of stellar distances and, if
there is interest, I like to express those distances in terms they can
understand. Someone was asking me where the probe was headed after its
current studies and it wasn't easy to find the answer. Sometimes Google
provides so many hits that it doesn't help in finding a fast answer
which, of course, you already knew I'm sure by the nature of your
initial response. The first place I checked was the probe site itself
and was unable to find it; from there other sources until I myself found
the answer on Wikipedia, then confirmed here and then a few more
sources. Again, the idea was *ballpark* assuming hypothetically no
changes, not precision.

BTW, any more snide remarks, I simply won't respond because I don't have
time to waste.