Old February 8th 18, 07:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

Default Another source of light pollution

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 01:33:22 UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 21:08:37 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 07:48:25 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 08:01:38 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 16:48:24 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
There is no legal right not to be killed

In some countries there is, but the US is not among those

countries.

Correct. The simple fact that every culture has its own list of what
are and are not rights is a pretty devastating argument against the
concept of natural rights.

I never said rights are natural rights. Of course rights can only be
assigned by humans (or other sentient beings, if they exist). But
humans can give rights to non-sentinent beings such as animals. Or
even rocks - the humans decide.

A matter of definition. I wouldn't use that word in that case.

The problem with "rights" [or their absence] is that they can't be backdated when the victims have already been slaughtered or abused over long periods.

Hypocrisy regularly occurs when human's condone or commit murder to save fluffy animals. Or to protect a daft religion from blasphemy. Or the protect the unborn from [ex]termination.

Human society's morality tends to steadily improve over time. So that new rights are added to the list. An 'alien' oversight might consider much of our morality as completely illogical. Our applied "rights" completely indefensible.

We are suffering from people overload with no end in sight. AGW cannot occur with many fewer people. Yet every life must be spared or saved regardless of their negative impact on our limited resources. Or, on our genes.

Pass the Soylent dressing, please?