Old February 25th 17, 01:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 7:57:44 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 04:08:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Yes. Basically, they both ignore the fact that humans have a built-in
aversion to self-destruction else there wouldn't be any humans.

On an individual level, yes. As a species? Not apparent.

That makes no sense to me. If we had no such aversion many would perish
from suicide and most would perish from neglect, leaving no one. There
is not a single species that behaves that way.

That makes no sense. Why would an inbuilt lack of concern for our
species result in suicide or neglect? No species shows a concern for
its own species. We are arguably the only species that even recognizes
the concept. Most animals exhibit behavior directed towards protecting
and propagating their individual genes.

I guess I was misunderstanding you. I was saying that there would be no
species if individuals had no aversion to self-destruction.

Some have extended that to small family groups. Beyond that, none

Quite a few extend that to patriotism.

- including humans- consider their entire species.

A few do that, too. Philosophers in particular.

I don't think it is different. If one believes that the human race is
slated for extinction, why worry about AGW? Is it because it may affect
you personally before you "shrug off this mortal coil"?

Same question. If you believe you're going to die, why worry about
anything?

Ezactly. But we do worry: to prevent immediate harm, to prevent harm to
those we love, to prevent harm to the race.

Few are interested in preventing harm to the race. Just look at the
last U.S. election!

That may be _your_ opinion, but others may bellieve they are preserving the
race by voting the way they did.

I can't speak for you, but I am engaged in life precisely because
there is no afterlife. That's what gives it meaning to me.

Eat, drink and be merry?

Indeed, if I required some sort of afterlife or some kind of external
judgment, then I'd consider things meaningless.

In most religions, what one does in this life affects what kind of afterlife
he'll have. That certainly would make "things" meaningful to one rather
than meaningless.

By deferring judgment, they hinder our ability to find real meaning in
life.

Immediate reward and punishment is the way we raise children, but there
were some things I did as a youth that I was never punished for. I now
have no desire to do those things. I believe that deferred judgment
allows us to find our own way and to become who we truly are rather than
be carbon copies of what society wants us to be. Society _does_ judge
us in basic matters but not in a wide variety of experiences.