Old February 24th 17, 03:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 13:19:19 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 17:15:36 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
Why would I have pride in my species?

Perhaps because of evolution? A species whose individuals feel proud
might survive better than a species whose individuals do not feel
proud. Perhaps this is the reasons why our species survived while the
neandertals became extinct?

There's nothing to suggest that humans take any notice of "species".
Unlike other animals, we at least recognize the concept, but that's
all. We protect our own genes, individually and through our families,
and to a lesser extend through our tribe. The history of humanity is
the story of genocide- we spend vast resources killing or subjugating
other humans who don't share our genes (or who we believe don't share
our genes). This continues today, right up to the U.S. President and
those who elected him.

There is no pride in species. There is no natural inclination to value
humans in general.