Old February 24th 17, 02:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Planet near Proxima Centauri (Travel time)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 04:08:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Yes. Basically, they both ignore the fact that humans have a built-in
aversion to self-destruction else there wouldn't be any humans.

On an individual level, yes. As a species? Not apparent.

That makes no sense to me. If we had no such aversion many would perish
from suicide and most would perish from neglect, leaving no one. There
is not a single species that behaves that way.

That makes no sense. Why would an inbuilt lack of concern for our
species result in suicide or neglect? No species shows a concern for
its own species. We are arguably the only species that even recognizes
the concept. Most animals exhibit behavior directed towards protecting
and propagating their individual genes. Some have extended that to
small family groups. Beyond that, none- including humans- consider
their entire species.

I don't think it is different. If one believes that the human race is
slated for extinction, why worry about AGW? Is it because it may affect
you personally before you "shrug off this mortal coil"?

Same question. If you believe you're going to die, why worry about
anything?

Ezactly. But we do worry: to prevent immediate harm, to prevent harm to
those we love, to prevent harm to the race.

Few are interested in preventing harm to the race. Just look at the
last U.S. election!

I can't speak for you, but I am engaged in life precisely because
there is no afterlife. That's what gives it meaning to me.

Indeed, if I required some sort of afterlife or some kind of external
judgment, then I'd consider things meaningless.

In most religions, what one does in this life affects what kind of afterlife
he'll have. That certainly would make "things" meaningful to one rather
than meaningless.

By deferring judgment, they hinder our ability to find real meaning in
life.