Old July 30th 15, 08:10 AM posted to sci.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Hils[_4_]

Default Brown dwarf, dazzling aurora

On 30/07/15 04:29, JAB wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 20:20:10 +0100, Hils wrote:

fine article

Source:

http://www.caltech.edu/news/failed-s...displays-47428

Excellent, thanks.

"In the case of brown dwarfs, charged particles cannot be driven into
their magnetosphere by a stellar wind, as there is no stellar wind to do
so. Hallinan says that some other source, such as an orbiting planet
moving through the brown dwarf's magnetosphere, may be generating a
current and producing the auroras. "But until we map the aurora
accurately, we won't be able to say where it's coming from," he says."

Wouldn't an "orbiting planet" have itself to be something like a gas
giant to produce the charged particles?