Old July 3rd 03, 07:15 PM
Henry Spencer

Default Light Sails Won't Work?

In article ,
Hop David wrote:
Sure hope Gold is wrong. But the Crookes radiometer seems to support him

The Crookes radiometer is irrelevant. It spins because it is *not* in a
perfect vacuum; in fact, it would not work in a perfect vacuum. There is
gas in the bulb, although it's fairly thin. The black side of each vane
is warmer than the silvered side, and it warms the adjacent gas, which
expands and pushes on the vane -- it's a solar-heated jet engine! This
effect completely overwhelms the extremely feeble light pressure.

You can build a Crookes radiometer with *transparent* vanes and matte
black paint on one side of them. The light pressure is equal -- both
sides look black -- but only one side gets warm. It spins just fine.
(My father found an ancient one in an auction sale long ago. As far as
I know, it's still spinning merrily in the kitchen window back home.)

Guess we'll know for sure come September.

See my previous posting. We already know, and have known for many years.
Tommy Gold apparently has gone senile.
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |