Old October 20th 16, 05:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Latest candidate for SpaceX pad explosion

On 2016-10-19 16:24, Jeff Findley wrote:

I doubt it. What coating would be LOX compatible and not crack due to
the expansion and contraction of the COPV during normal fills and drains
while inside the LOX tank?

But doesn't the coating inside the COPV do exactly that ?
(expand/contract during normal fills) ?

What "coating inside the COPV" would that be, exactly?

It's be driven into me that the second LOX comes into contact with
combustible material, it causes very fast combustion.

Educate yourself.

So I do not understand how LOX being in contact with carbon fiber would
not cause instant combustion.

So you don't understand how any pressure fed rocket can work.
Congratulations.

No ignition source.

If you pour LOX onto BBQ charcoal, it instantly burns, without a match
to ignite it. So why would it magically not do that in a tank if there
is some carbon present and in contact with LOX ?

Because it doesn't do that with charcoal unless the charcoal is hot?

No, the overwrap was trying to squeeze the oxygen back out, but could
not, so the theory is the overwrap failed (I'm guessing at or near the
location of the solid oxygen).

I see a problem with that. To be structurally strong, layers of
composites (either carbon or glass fibre) have to be very tightly
laminated against each other with resin holding them together.

Bull****. Do you know what 'laminated' means?

snip silly hypothetical

In my mind, it would be more likely the helium tank got so cold that the
carbon fibre became brittle and failed, releasing helium into the LOX
tank, causing that tank to rupture and then things went kablooey.

And your mind is precisely why you are NOT in the rocket business.

It means solid oxygen. Like how ice is solid water.

You've obviously never seen slush ? water at 0° can exist both solid
and liquid. And slush has solid "flakes" of water mixed with liquid
water. (think milk shake or a "Slush" drink).

I find it unlikely that the LOX became a solid block of "solid". Far
more likely it would have been a "slush" type of mixture which is still
adaptable to shape changes.

I find it unlikely that you know more than people who do this **** for
a living.

Filling them from what? Is a compressor involved? If so, that
compressor *increases* the pressure of the gas which increases the
temperature of the gas. Clearly you can't do that with LOX and expect
it to be "sub-cooled" in the rocket. So clearly SpaceX isn't doing it
that way.

Making any gas liquid is an exothermal reaction. (either you compress
the gas (exothermal) or you cool it (exothermal).

while you're looking up what 'laminate' means, look up 'exothermal' as
well. But you'll have to look up 'exothermic', since 'exothermal'
isn't a word.

Hint: There is no 'reaction'.

snip silliness

-- Thomas Jefferson