Old July 31st 03, 12:01 AM
OG

Default A dialogue between Mr. Big BANG and Mr. Steady STATE

"Marcel Luttgens" wrote in message Mr. State's
reasoning could be called a thought experiment.

OG said
But Mr State is claiming that the dwarf stars seen 8GY ago appear to be

13GY
old - even though we can't see them.

Marcel wrote
They don't appear to be 13 GY old. Mr. State claimed that the remote

galaxy
looks like our galaxy, whose dwarf stars are known to be 13 GY old.

A very thin premise:- "it looks like our galaxy so it MUST be the same age
as ours"

Mr. State's thesis is that the clusters in all spiral galaxies comparable

our own galaxy have the same age as the clusters of our galaxy, i.e. 13

GY.
If the light emitted by such a spiral galaxy took 8 GY to reach us, he

considers
that to-day, the remote galaxy should be 21 GY old, thus older than the
universe of the BBT.

Let us suppose that Mr Steady is right. In this case he has an interesting
cosmology.
Our Spiral Galaxy is 13GY old (and no older)
Spiral Galaxies 1 Giga-light years away are 13+1 GY old (and no older)
Spiral Galaxies 2 Giga-light years away are 13+2 GY old (and no older)
Spiral Galaxies 3 Giga-light years away are 13+3 GY old (and no older)
Spiral Galaxies 8 Giga-light years away are 13 +8 GY old (and no older)
etc etc
I keep saying "and no older" because he has already asserted (or inferred)
that all Spiral galaxies looking like ours must be 13GY old.
So he sees the Universe getting progressively older the further from us he
looks. So much for the Universe being uniform in time and space - which I
always understod to be a basic tenet of "Steady State" cosmologies.

That said, I now withdraw from the debate (reserving the right to re-enter
at a later date)

Owen