Old April 20th 04, 05:34 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Default NASA Culture versus Corporate Culture

(Bill Clark) wrote in
om:

Despite all its human flaws, the "NASA culture" has a strong can-do,
will-do attitude that makes it possible for them to achieve what
organizations ten times their size cannot.

I would even go so far as to say that the aerospace industry
was to blame for the Challenger disaster, not NASA employees.
Industry has motive, the employees do not.

You may go that far, but you'd be wrong. The historical record is quite
clear: engineers at Morton Thiokol (the "aerospace industry" you disparage)
urged NASA to scrub the launch of Challenger. They were overruled by their
management, under direct pressure from NASA.

That "can-do" attitude can get deadly when it turns into "prove to me it's
unsafe to launch."

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.