Old November 21st 08, 09:49 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Dirk[_3_]

Default EVA toolkit loss

Craig Fink wrote in
m:

Pat Flannery wrote:

wrote:
I wonder how much that bit of carelessness cost us taxpayers...

I don't mind my tax $$ being spent for something that's needed and I
can understand an accident or emergency, but I do mind it being thrown
away by someone who's lazy or just stupidly careless. And you know all
of those tools were custom-made at a $Million each...

NASA says the value of the toolkit is around $100,000:

NASA underestimates the "value" of the bag by an order of magnitude.

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.or...content&view=a
rticle&id=4472:sts-126-mission-status-fd-5&catid=1

30 lbs x 20,000 $/lb = $3,000,000 plus the $100,000

Damn, that's a lot. Maybe we could hire Russia to launch our
crews and equipment to the station to save some money.

Dirk