Old October 24th 03, 07:21 PM
Paul Schlyter

Default List of brightest asteroids

In article ,
Ante Perkovic wrote:

I'm writting an article about observing asteroids. I need a list of
the brightest (in their most favourable oposition) asteroids.

Yes, I know about Heavens-Above, but I need a list that can help me
make an asteroid target list for longer time (not just for tonight).

As a matter of fact, Earth-grazing asteroids can be brightest when
quite far away from opposition -- that's because they then pass
closest to the Earth.

My own list of the brightest asteroids looks like this (note that
although Toutatis could be brighter than mag 6, within our lifetimes
it will never get brighter than mag 7):

Possibly brighter than mag 6.0
(4) Vesta
(4179) Toutatis

Possibly brighter than mag 7.0
(1) Ceres
(2) Pallas
(7) Iris
(433) Eros

Possibly brighter than mag 8.0
(3) Juno
(6) Hebe
(18) Melpomene
(15) Eunomia
(1981) Midas

Possibly brighter than mag 9.0
(8) Flora
(324) Bamberga
(9) Metis
(4660) Nereus
(192) Nausikaa
(20) Massalia
(27) Euterpe
(3122) 1981ET3
(4953) 1990_MU
(12) Victoria
(29) Amphitrite
(1036) Ganymedes
(5) Astraea
(11) Parthenope
(3671) Dionysus
(14) Irene
(19) Fortuna
(44) Nysa
(532) Herculina
(2201) Oljato

Possibly brighter than mag 10.0
(10) Hygiea
(89) Julia
(1627) Ivar
(16) Psyche
(43) Ariadne
(21) Lutetia
(39) Laetitia
(42) Isis
(23) Thalia
(354) Eleonora
(40) Harmonia
(79) Eurynome
(216) Kleopatra
(349) Dembowska
(471) Papagena
(41) Daphne
(68) Leto
(80) Sappho
(194) Prokne
(37) Fides
(88) Thisbe
(115) Thyra
(135) Hertha
(511) Davida
(4581) Asclepius
(30) Urania
(33) Polyhymnia
(51) Nemausa
(63) Ausonia
(387) Aquitania
(1866) Sisyphus
(22) Kalliope
(344) Desiderata
(654) Zelinda
(2135) Aristaeus
(97) Klotho
(129) Antigone
(144) Vibilia
(704) Interamnia

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/