Old April 24th 13, 08:19 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Harpoon space junk?

Of course not, but I think what was meant was some kind of attraction being
used. I doubt there is much of a ferrous nature in much of the junk either
though.

I was also wondering if water might be able to be used to make the item
less stable in some way. However all the various systems I've seen
described have a high price tag. Ideally you need a device that can not only
change orbits, but inclination and can refuel as well. I envisage a long
term project using a fleet of spacecrafte with ion propulsion.
Actually dealing with the smaller debris is more challenging though.

Brian

Email:

Andre; "PE1PQX" wrote in message
JF Mezei formuleerde op dinsdag :
On 13-04-23 02:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was a little perplexed by an item on the news the other day about a
plan to fly a harpoon based device to bring down space junk.

They need a vacuum cleaner for that :-)

Would that work in space (in a vacuum environment)?