Old July 23rd 06, 06:45 AM posted to sci.environment,sci.space.policy,alt.global-warming,sci.geo.geology,sci.physics
Coby Beck

Default NASA declines to protect the Planet Earth

"Phil Hays" wrote in message
The previous administration thought NASA was a great thing to use to
study, monitor, understand and protect our own planet.

This isn't just a change from the previous administration. The 1958
mission statement included "the expansion of human knowledge of the
earth and of phenomena in the atmosphere and space."

One reason to go up is to look down.

Are these items related?

From the New York Times in late January:

"In several interviews with The New York Times in recent days, Dr. Hansen
said it would be irresponsible not to speak out, particularly because NASA's
mission statement includes the phrase "to understand and protect our home
planet.""

From the New York Times today:

"In early February, [NASA's mission] statement was quietly altered, with
the phrase "to understand and protect our home planet" deleted."
http://illconsidered.blogspot.com/20...ting-dots.html

--
Coby Beck